Texas Specification No. 420-08-01
Effective Date: November 1, 1990
Last Revision: June 28, 1996
STACKING CHAIRS: CAFETERIA and/or BANQUET
1. SCOPE: This specification establishes the minimum requirements for tubular steel frame, fully upholstered back and seat, stacking chairs for use in cafeteria or banquet seating.
2. APPLICABLE SPECIFICATIONS AND STANDARDS: References to specifications, standards, test materials, and other documents that are in effect on the date of the Invitation for Bids are applicable. Copies of the referenced documents are available from the issuing organizations at the addresses shown. The following publications are part of this specification to the extent specified herein:
2.1. AMERICAN NATIONAL STANDARDS INSTITUTE (ANSI), 1430 Broadway, New York, NY 10018:
2.1.1. ANSI A 208.1-89 -- Particleboard, Mat-formed Wood.
2.1.2. ANSI/HPMA HP-83 -- Hardwood and Decorative Plywood.
2.1.3. ANSI/BIFMA X5.1-85 -- General Purpose Office Chairs: Tests.
2.1.4. ANSI Z 34.2-87 -- Self Certification by Producer or Supplier.
2.2. AMERICAN SOCIETY FOR TESTING AND MATERIALS (ASTM), 1916 Race Street, Philadelphia, PA 19103:
2.2.1. ASTM D 1037 -- Method for Evaluating Properties of Wood-Base Fiber and Particle Panel Materials.
2.2.2. ASTM D 3547 -- Method of Testing Flexible Cellular Materials-Slab, Bonded, and Molded Urethane Foams.
2.2.3. ASTM D 4157 -- Method for Abrasion Resistance of Textile Fabrics (Oscillatory Cylinder Method).
2.3. FEDERAL SPECIFICATIONS: Superintendent of Documents, U.S. Government Printing Office, Washington, DC 20402:
2.3.1. CCC-A-680A -- Artificial Leather (Cloth Coated), Vinyl Resin, Expanded Layer, (Upholstery).
2.3.2. CCC-C-700J -- Cloth, Coated, Vinyl Coated (Artificial Leather).
2.3.3. LLL-B-810B -- Building Board (Hardboard) Hard Pressed Vegetable Fiber.
2.3.4. TT-C-490C -- Cleaning Methods for Ferrous Surfaces and Pretreatments for Organic Coatings.
2.4. IRON AND STEEL SOCIETY (ISS), 410 Commonwealth Drive, Warrendale, PA 15086:
2.4.1. Sheet Steel Manual.
2.5. STATE OF CALIFORNIA, DEPARTMENT OF CONSUMER AFFAIRS, BUREAU OF HOME FURNISHINGS AND THERMAL INSULATION, 3485 Orange Grove Avenue, North Highlands, CA 95660:
2.5.1. Technical Bulletin 117.
3. CLASSIFICATION: Chairs shall be classified by type and upholstery style as follows:
3.1.1. Type 1: Trapezoidal Back.
3.1.2. Type 2: Oval-shaped Back.
3.2. Upholstery Style:
3.2.1. Style "V": Vinyl (Artificial Leather).
3.2.2. Style "F": Fabric (Nylon or Marquesa Lana).
4. DEFINITIONS: Terminology used in this specification is intended to be generic in nature and consistent with meanings that have been defined through general use and/or accepted trade practices. Where variant meanings may exist, the applicable interpretation shall be determined by the Texas Procurement and Support Services (TPASS).
4.1. Commission: Texas Procurement and Support Services.
4.2. Commercial Quality: Commercial quality shall be as defined in the "Sheet Steel Manual."
4.3. Normal Use: Use which can be reasonably expected in an area in which seating is used during a standard forty (40) hour work week. Normal use shall include incidental bumps and scrapes which can occur while being used as seating and during the setting up and the taking down, transportation, stacking and compact storage of seating.
4..4. Plywood: A crossbanded assembly made of layers of veneer or veneer in combination with a lumber core or other wood based panel material, joined with an adhesive.
4.5. Woodbase Particleboard: A panel manufactured from wood in the form of discrete particles, combined with a synthetic resin or other suitable binder and bonded together under heat and pressure.
5. REQUIREMENTS: Products furnished under this specification shall meet or exceed the following requirements:
5.1. General Requirements:
5.1.1. All chairs shall be new, unused, and a currently standard product of an established manufacturer except for such deviations as may be required by this specification.
5.1.2. Chairs shall present a neat, well finished appearance and shall be free of all imperfections and/or defects which might affect appearance, normal life, or serviceability.
5.1.3. Chairs shall be furnished completely assembled and read for use.
5.1.4. Details not specified herein shall be in accordance with standard commercial practices for products of this type.
5.2. Colors: The colors of the chair finish and upholstery shall be selected from the manufacturer's standard colors.
5.3. Dimensions: Dimensions shall be as shown in Table 1.
|Description (inch minimum)||Type 1 (Trapezoidal)||Type 2
|Seat Height (from floor)||18.0||18.0|
|Back Rest Height||12.0||16.0|
|Back Back Cushion||0.5||0.75|
|Chair Height of Frame||33.5||33.5|
|Chair Width of Frame||17.5||17.5|
|Chair Depth of Seat||16.0||16.0|
|Chair Width of Seat||15.5||15.5|
|Chair Seat Cushion||2.0||2.0|
5.4.1. Weight: The structural design of the chairs shall be such that any sustained and impact weight will be uniformly distributed on all supporting parts with no excessive stain on any one supporting part under normal use.
5.4.2. Bumper: The frame shall be protected during stacking by means of a stacking bumper at each leg.
5.4.3. Glides: The finish shall be protected during stacking by means of stainless steel or nylon glides with collars (boots) on each leg. Polyplastic plugs are unacceptable.
5.4.4. Handhold: The cushions shall be formed to permit a handhold between it and the upper back support.
5.5. Materials: The materials used in the construction of the chairs shall conform to the requirements stated herein.
5.5.1. Steel: The steel used in the fabrication of the legs, seat frame and back frame shall be "commercial quality" cold rolled steel as defined in the applicable section of the Sheet Steel Manual.
Steel tubing shall be either seamless or continuous seam welded. The thickness of steel used for individual parts shall be as specified and are minimum thicknesses permitted subject to the tolerance given in the Sheet Steel Manual. The steel tubing shall be smooth, free of rust, scale, pits, scratches, laps, crimps, and buckles.
5.5.2. Padding Material: The padding material shall be 100% polyurethane foam of minimum density 1.65 pounds per cubic foot. The foam material shall have a 25% minimum indentation force deflection (IFD) of 25, when tested in accordance with ASTM D 3574. It shall be flame resistant, meeting the requirements of California Technical Bulletin # 117, Class 1.
The pad shall be one piece, and securely bonded to the base. The seat pad shall be a minimum of two inches (2") thick, and the backrest shall be a minimum of one-half inch (1/2") thick.
5.5.3. Vinyl Upholstery Material: The vinyl upholstery shall be fabric backed and shall have a minimum weight of thirty ounces (30 oz.) per linear yard (54" width) and shall meet or exceed the applicable requirements of Federal Specifications CCC-C-700J and CCC-A-680A, Class 2, minimum.
The material shall be flame resistant, meeting the requirements of California Technical Bulletin # 117, Class 1.
The finish or grain shall be smooth or simulate top grain leather.
5.5.4. Nylon Upholstery Material: Nylon fabric with a minimum weight of twenty ounces (20 oz.) per linear yard, or equal shall be provided.
The material shall be abrasion resistant, exceeding 50,0000 double rubs on the Wyzenbeek test (ASTM D 4157), and shall be flame resistant, meeting the requirements of California Technical Bulletin #117, Class 1, mildew resistant and stain resistant.
5.5.5. Olefin Upholstery Material: When so specified in the Invitation for Bids, 100% "Marquesa Lana" fabric shall be provided. The fabric shall be abrasion resistant, exceeding 250,000 double rubs on the Wyzenbeek test (ASTM D 4157), and shall be flame resistant, meeting the requirements of California Technical Bulletin #117, Class 1.
5.5.6. Hardware: Bolts, nuts, screws, rivets and other fastening devices used in chair construction shall be made of corrosion resistant material.
5.5.7. Plywood: Plywood used for seats and backs shall be a minimum moisture content of 12% and meet the requirements of ANSI/HPMA HP-83. Plywood shall be a minimum of seven-sixteenths inch (7/16") panel, three-ply.
5.5.8. Particleboard: Particleboard used for seats and backs shall be high density. It shall be a minimum of five-eights inch (5/8") panel three-ply, warpage, abrasion and moisture resistant. Maximum moisture content shall be 12%. Minimum density shall be thirty-five pounds (35 lbs) per cubic foot.
5.6. Finish: All painted surfaces shall be thoroughly cleaned and free of dirt, oil, grease, moisture, or other foreign material prior to painting. The cleaning and priming of the surfaces shall conform to one of the methods of Federal Specification TT-C-490C, at the manufacturer's option.
5.6.1. Paint Finish: After cleaning, the frame shall be dipped or sprayed with a suitable primer coat that is compatible with the top or finish coat. The finish coat shall consist of a baked enamel coating applied and baked in accordance with the enamel manufacturer's recommendations (or the manufacturer's standard epoxy based coating of comparable quality). The enamel shall be a non chipping type. There shall be no indication of rust or decay under the coating. An equivalent thermo-set epoxy powder coating, electrostatically applied and baked on, shall also be acceptable.
5.6.2. Chrome Finish: An electroplated chrome finish shall also be available. The frame shall be subject to the manufacturer's standard electrical and chemical cleaning process. Chrome shall be plated over a nickel base. The chrome shall be corrosion and chip resistant.
5.7.1. Welds: All brazing and welding shall assure rigid joints in proper alignment. Welds shall be sound, without porosity, and shall provide rigid, one piece units, free of burrs and sharp edges. Bends in the welded frame shall be machine formed.
5.7.2. Upholstery: The padded seat and back rest assembly shall be securely attached with tabs or fasteners and shall not loosen under normal use. The seat and back upholstered assemblies shall match in construction, design, and color.
5.8. Components: The chairs shall be constructed as specified herein.
5.8.1. Legs, Seat Frame and Back Frame: The frame and legs shall be made from a minimum eighteen (18) gauge square tubular steel, minimum thirteen-sixteenths inch (13/16"). Frames shall be seam welded to produce a strong unit constructions. Legs shall be "U-shaped".
5.8.2. Chair Seats and Backs: Chairs shall be furnished with upholstered back and seat assemblies consisting of support panel, padding, and upholstery, secured to the frame with screws or nuts.
5.8.3. Seat Support: A formed steel rod shall be welded between the back legs to strengthen the leg and frame assembly and provide additional seat support (leg Reinforcement Bar).
5.8.4. Seat: The seat shall be "box" style, with upholstery material applied over the base and stapled at the edges. The bottom shall be covered with a durable chipboard or cardboard.
5.8.5. Back: The back shall have a minimum of four (4) fasteners or tabs attaching it to the frame, and enclosed within the tubular back support. The upholstery material shall be stapled at the edge.
5.8.6. Stacking Bumpers: Stacking bumpers made of high density poly plastics shall be inserted into each leg, or stacking-bar with a minimum total of four (4) bumpers.
5.8.7. Glides: Glides shall be steel cushioned single steel umbrella, nylon-PVC double steel umbrella, or all steel, and be of the "boot" (Ferrule) style. The umbrella clip shall hold the booted glide within the leg tubing. It shall be swivel type. Polyplastic plugs are unacceptable.
5.8.8. Stacking Bars: When so specified in the Invitation for Bids, stacking bars shall be furnished, five-eights inch (5/8") square, minimum 18 gauge, steel tubing, they shall be welded between the frame and back legs on each side.
5.8.9. Ganging: When so specified in the Invitation for Bids, fastening devices shall be furnished which will hold the chairs together in groups in a rigid and secure manner. The shall attach at the upper part of the "U-shaped" leg, seat level, and be factory installed.
5.8.10. Bookrack: When so specified in the Invitation for Bids, factory installed bookracks shall be furnished. The bookrack shall be free from rough edges or protruding parts that might snag clothing or cause injury. The wire frame shall be a minimum five-eights inch (5/8") outer diameter steel.
5.9. Options: When so specified in the Invitation for Bids, chairs shall be furnished with the following options:
5.9.1. Paint finish (See Paragraph 5.6.1.).
5.9.2. Chrome finish (See Paragraph 5.6.2.).
5.9.3. Stacking bars: between the legs (See Paragraph 5.8.8.).
5.9.4. Ganging device: attached to the seat frame to form semi permanent rows, factory installed (See Paragraph 5.8.9.).
5.9.5. Bookracks: attached to chairs with stacking bars (See Paragraph 5.8.10.).
5.10. Vendor Requirements: A color chart showing the manufacturer's standard colors for finish and upholstery shall be furnished to each using agency by the bidder.
6. TESTING: Testing shall be done by or at the direction of, the Commission and/or the receiving State agency. Tests shall be performed on products from shipments to ordering agencies. In the event products tested fail to meet or exceed all conditions and requirements of this specification, the cost of the samples used and the cost of testing shall be borne by the supplier.
6.1. Tests: The product furnished under this specification shall be tested by the following methods or approved equally applicable procedures (certification is required):
6.1.1. ANSI/BIFMA X5.1-85, Table 2.
6.2. Certification: the vendor shall submit certified laboratory test data from the manufacturer to the Commission with the bid. See Attachment One (1).
|Back Pull||7.00||No Failure|
|Drop (Impact)||9.00||No Failure|
|Leg Strength: Front Load||19.00||No Failure|
|Leg Strength: Side Load||20.00||No Failure|
7. SAMPLES: Unless otherwise specified in the Invitation for Bids, no prepurchase samples shall be required. Samples tested shall be obtained from products supplied on regular orders.
8. INSPECTION: Products furnished under this specification shall be inspected by, or at the direction of the Commission and/or the ordering State agency either at the destination or place of manufacture.
9. WARRANTY: All chairs shall carry the manufacturer's standard warranty and shall be guaranteed against defects in materials, workmanship, and performance for a minimum of one (1) year. The chair frame shall have a warranty of ten (10) years. The warranty shall begin on the date of acceptance of the unit by the ordering agency. During this warranty period, the vendor shall repair or replace defective components and/or units at no cost to the State of Texas.
.9.1. Guarantee: The vendor shall guarantee that the chairs will be a standard and continuing item in the manufacturer's product line. The chairs shall be identifiable by regular catalog numbers.
10. AVAILABILITY OF SERVICE: Factory authorized service shall be available within the State of Texas.
10.1. Service: When so specified in the Invitation for Bids, the bidder shall submit a current list of companies or individuals, and their addresses, who can perform service on the products furnished.
10.2. Parts: An adequate supply of repair parts shall be carried in stock within the State of Texas for the expected life of all products furnished under this specification.
11. INSTRUCTION BOOKS and/or MANUALS: the vendor shall furnish one (1) copy of any required operating and/or maintenance instructions for each carton delivered. The instructions shall accompany the chairs when shipped.
12. PACKING/PACKAGING: Packaging for shipment shall be in accordance with the manufacturer's standard practice and in a manner readily accepted by common carriers engaged in interstate commerce. Within the shipping carton, units shall be packed in a manner designed to minimized damage during shipment due to rough or improper handling.
12.1. Cartons: Chairs shall be packaged four (4) or five (5) to a carton unless otherwise specified. The agency shall order per carton.
12.2. Delivery: When so specified in the Invitation for Bids, delivery shall be as follows:
12.2.1. Agency receiving dock.
12.2.2. Inside delivery, non-installed.
13.1. Marking: Each shipping container shall be clearly marked with:
13.1.1. Name of contents.
13.1.2. Quantity ordered.
13.1.3. Name and address of the manufacturer.
The container or shipping documents shall include:
13.1.4. Order number or contract number.
13.1.5. Name and address of ordering agency.
13.1.6. Agency requisition number.
13.2. Labeling: Each chair shall bear a securely affixed and durable label showing the following:
13.2.1. Manufacturer's name, or
13.2.2. Manufacturer's trademark.
14. BID LITERATURE: All bids shall be accompanied by a complete and illustrated description of the products being offered.
15. COMPLIANCE: In order for consideration to be given to the bid on an item under this specification, the bidder must comply with the following:
15.1. PRODUCT IDENTIFICATION: The make, model number, name of the manufacturer, brand or trade name, etc., as applicable, of the item which the vendor proposes to furnish must be stated as part of the bid.
15.2. EXCEPTIONS: Notwithstanding the above, any exception taken by the bidder to the requirements and conditions of this specification must be stated and described in detail as a part of the bid. If no exceptions or deviations are identified in this manner, the items must be furnished exactly as described herein.
15.3. PROOF: The bidder shall bear the burden of proof of compliance with this specification.
15.4. BID RESPONSE: Bidder shall provide a line item by line item written answer to all technical specifications of Paragraph 5. Failure to submit a line answer at time of bid opening will result in disqualification of the bid.
15.5. CERTIFICATION: Bidder shall provide testing lab certification from the manufacturer that the chairs meet the requirements of Paragraph 6 and ANSI/BIFMA X5.1-85. See Attachment One (1). Failure to submit certification at time of bid opening will result in disqualification of the bid.
15.6. BID SAMPLES: The manufacturer and/or vendor shall provide samples within ten (10) days of written request. Failure to provide the sample or failure to meet specification will result in disqualification of the bid.
16. PRODUCT INFORMATION: Upholstered stacking chairs are used in dining areas, waiting rooms, lobbies, offices, and chapels. Most models stack ten (10) high on a dolly. Stacking bars are recommended for chairs that are frequently stacked and moved.
17. ORDERING DATA: When ordering products conforming to this specification the requisitioning agency shall specify the following:
17.1. The number of this specification (420-08-01).
17.2. Type (See Paragraph 3.1.).
17.3. Upholstery Style (See Paragraph 3.2.).
17.4. Color (See Paragraph 5.2.).
17.5. Finish (See Paragraph 5.6.).
17.6. Options (See Paragraph 5.9.).
17.7. Service (See Paragraph 10.1.).
17.8. Type of Delivery (See Paragraph 12.2.).
17.9. Quantity of each type, style, color, finish required (See Paragraph 12.1.).
18. AVAILABILITY OF SPECIFICATIONS: Copies of this specification may be obtained by calling or writing:
Texas Procurement and Support Services
Austin, TX 78711-3047
CERTIFICATE OF COMPLIANCE
To: Purchaser "N"
Texas Procurement and Support Services
Austin, TX 78711-3047
By my signature below, I hereby certify:
1. that I am an officer of my company and am authorized to make this certification;
2. that the information contained herein is true and correct and is provided in accordance with ANSI Standard Z34.2-87: Self Certification by Producter or Supplier;
3. that records verifying the information conatined herein will be made avaialbe, upon request, to the State of Texas Procurement and Support Servicesin accordance with the provisions of ANSI Standard Z34.2-87;
4. that this certifiction is for the following product manufactured by my company
Model No.: ___________________________ Description: _____________________________
5. that the product identified above meets or exceeds all requirements of the following Texas Specification:
Number: 420-08-01 Title: Stacking Chairs: Cafeteria and/or Banquet
6. that the product identified above meets or exceed all applicable requireemnts of the following documents as determined by our own testing program or the test results of an independent testing laboratory.
|Document||Most Recent Test Date||Testing Organization|
|Test # 7|
|Test # 9|
|Test # 19|
|Test # 20|