Texas Specification No. 340-41-01
Effective Date: April 3, 1995
Reformatted Date: July 1, 1996
FOAM, FIRE SUPPRESSER
1. SCOPE: This specification establishes the minimum requirements for an anionic and non-anionic, high-foaming, sudsing liquid, for use in putting out Class A fires.
2. APPLICABLE SPECIFICATIONS AND STANDARDS: Reference to specifications, standards and test methods shall be to the issues in effect on the date of the Invitation for Bids. Copies of the referenced documents may be obtained from the issuing organizations at the addresses shown. The following documents form a part of this specification to the extent specified herein.
2.1. AMERICAN SOCIETY FOR TESTING AND MATERIALS (ASTM), 1916 Race Street, Philadelphia, PA 19103:
2.1.1. ASTM D 460-1991 -- Method of Sampling and Chemical Analysis of Soaps and Soap Products.
2.1.2. ASTM E 70-7990 -- Test Method for pH of Aqueous Solutions with the Glass Electrode.
2.2. TEXAS SPECIFICATIONS, General Services Commission, P.O.Box 13186, Austin, TX 78711-3047:
2.2.1. Texas Specification No. 180-54-02A -- Foam Stabilizer -- Coco Diethanolamine.
2.2.2. Texas Specification No. 180-58-02A -- Sodium Hydroxide.
2.2.3. Texas Specification No. 180-92-11A -- Surfactant, Sodium Xylenesulfonate.
2.2.4. Texas Specification No. 180-92-12A -- Surfactant, Linear Alkylate Sulfonic Acid.
2.2.5. Texas Specification No. 180-93-02A -- Surfactant, Nonionic-Nonylphenoxy (Polyethoxy) Ethanol.
2.2.6. Texas Specification No. 190-46-01A -- Formaldehyde, Inhibited.
3. CLASSIFICATION: The fire foam shall be classified by chemical content.
4. DEFINITIONS: Terminology used in this specification is intended to be generic in nature and consistent with meanings that have been defined through general use and/or accepted trade practices. Where variant meanings may exist, the applicable interpretation shall be determined by the Texas Procurement and Support Services.
4.1. Class A Fires: Fires in ordinary combustible materials such as wood, cloth, paper, rubber and many plastics (NFPA 10).
4.2. Commission: Texas Procurement and Support Services.
5. REQUIREMENTS: The fire foam furnished under this specification shall meet or exceed the following requirements:
5.1. General Requirements: The product shall be a transparent, homogeneous, essentially sediment-free, clear liquid. It shall show no turbidity or loss of stability when stored at 120 °F for 24 hours. When added to water, it shall produce a stable foam to aid in smothering a Class A fire.
5.2. Chemical Composition: The product shall be compounded as shown in Table No. One.
TABLE No. ONE
|Ingredient||Percent by Weight Minimum||Percent by Weight 1 Maximum||Texas Specification No.|
|Surfactant (Sodium Xylenesulfonate)||3.0||4.0||180-92-11|
|Surfactant (Liner Alkylate Sulfonic Acid)||9.0||16.0||180-92-12|
|Surfactant (Nonylphenoxy Ethanol)||2.0||4.0||180-93-02|
5.3. Test Requirements: The product shall conform to the requirements of Paragraph 6.1.
6. TESTING: Testing shall be done by, or at the direction of, the Commission and/or the receiving State agency. Tests shall be performed on products from shipments to ordering agencies. In the event products tested fail to meet or exceed all conditions and requirements of this specification, the cost of the samples used and the cost of testing shall be borne by the supplier.
6.1. Tests: The product furnished under this specification shall be tested by the following methods or approved equally applicable procedures:
6.1.1. Stability: Determine the stability of the product by testing a 100 gram sample at 120 °F for 24 hours. At the end of the time, the liquid shall show no evidence of sedimentation or separation of the components. Determine compliance with Paragraph 5.1.
6.1.2. Total Solids: Measure by the procedure of ASTM D 460; shall be 15.0 percent by weight minimum to 24.0 maximum.
6.1.3. pH: Measure the pH by ASTM E 70. pH shall be 6.5 -- 8.5.
6.1.4. Foam Height: (3% Solution) Weight 0.3 grams of the fire foam into 150 ml beaker; add 9.7 g deionized water and gently stir for one (1) minute. Slowly pour the mixture into a 250 ml glass stoppered graduated cylinder. Stopper the cylinder and agitate the contents by smooth rotation for the cylinder about the midpoint to the inverted position and back again ten (10) times.
Procedure will tank ten to fifteen seconds (10-15 sec.). Remove the stopper. Take the initial reading within five (5) seconds, again after one (1) minute and five (5) minutes. Determine compliance:
5 sec 130 ml height
1 min 125 ml height
5 min 120 ml height
7. SAMPLES: Unless otherwise specified in the Invitation for Bids, no prepurchase samples shall be required. Samples tested shall be taken from regular orders.
8. INSPECTION: Products furnished under this specification shall be inspected by, or at the direction of the Commission and/or the ordering State agency either at the destination or place of manufacture.
9. PACKING/PACKAGING: Packing for shipment shall be in accordance with the manufacturer's standard practice and in a manner readily accepted by common carriers engaged in interstate commerce. Within the shipping carton, units shall be packed in a manner designed to minimize damage during the shipment because of rough or improper handling.
9.1. Packaging: The fire foam shall be packaged in non-returnable plastic one (1) gallon bottles, six (6) to a case, or five (5) gallon cartons, or fifty-five (55) gallon drums. The material of the container shall neither affect, nor be affected by, the contents for a period of one (1) year after delivery date.
10.1. Marking: Each shipping container shall be clearly marked with:
10.1.1. Name of contents.
10.1.3. Order number or contract number.
The container or shipping documents shall include:
10.1.4. Name and address of ordering agency.
10.1.5. Agency requisition number.
10.1.6. Name and address of the manufacturer.
10.2. Labeling: Each container shall bear a durable label containing the name of the product and instructions for use, including required precautionary statements.
11. COMPLIANCE: In order for consideration to be given to the bid on an item under this specification, the bidder must comply with the following:
11.1. Product Identification: The make, model number, name of the manufacturer, brand or trade name, etc., as applicable, of the item which the vendor proposes to furnish must be stated as part of the bid.
11.2. Exceptions: Notwithstanding the above, any exception taken by the bidder to the requirements and conditions of this specification must be stated and described in detail as a part of the bid. If no exceptions or deviations are identified in this manner, the items must be furnished exactly as described herein.
11.3. Proof: The bidder shall bear the burden of proof of compliance with this specification.
12. PRODUCT INFORMATION: The fire foam has a boiling point greater than 200 °F. It may be slightly irritating to the eyes, and should be used with eye protection. Spills may be cleaned with water.
13. ORDERING DATA: When ordering products conforming to this specification, the requisitioning agency shall specify the following:
13.1. The number of this specification (340-41-01).
13.2. The quantity required (case, 5 gallon carton, 55 gallon drum).
14. AVAILABILITY OF SPECIFICATIONS: Copies of this specification may be obtained by writing or calling:
Texas Procurement and Support Services
Austin, TX 78711-