Texas Specification No. 075-44-03
Effective Date: March 31, 1981
Reformatted Date: June 28, 1996
LIFTS, HYDRAULIC, AUTOMOTIVE
1. SCOPE: This specification includes the minimum requirements for fully hydraulic single post automotive lifts appropriate for raining passenger automobiles only.
2. APPLICABLE SPECIFICATIONS AND STANDARDS: Reference to specifications, standards and test methods shall be to those in effect on the date of the Invitation for Bids. The following publication forms a part of this specification to the extent specified here:
2.1. AMERICAN NATIONAL STANDARDS INSTITUTE (ANSI), 1430 Broadway, New York, NY 10018.
2.1.1. ANSI B 153.1 -- Safety Requirements for the construction,, Care and Use of Automotive Lifts.
3. REQUIREMENTS: Lifts furnished to this specification shall meet or exceed the requirements of ANSI B 153.1 and the following:
3.1. Style and Size: this fully hydraulic, air-oil operated lift shall be a single post type with superstructure composed of a bolster and four (4) adjustable swivel arms. When extended to full length, these frame engaging swivel arms shall be a least 87 inches long measured from front to rear of the superstructure.
3.2. Lifting Capacity and Height: With air pressure at a minimum 150 psig, rated capacity loads shall be raised to maximum height of plunger travel in 100 seconds or less, and lowered at a rate no greater than 20 feet per minute.
3.2.1. Total lift capacity shall be at least 8,000 pounds, and the extreme lifting point on each adjustable arm shall be capacity rated at 2,000 pounds minimum.
3.2.2. Plunger travel shall be at least 66 inches and a positive stop mechanism shall prevent the plunger from leaving the casing under operating conditions.
3.3. Components: Each hydraulic lift furnished to this specification shall have, but not be limited to, the following components. All other parts not specifically listed, that are required or ordinarily furnished as standard equipment to complete a lift which is ready for either installation or operation (See Paragraph 12) shall be provided by the successful bidder. All parts shall meet or exceed the accepted industry standards for strength, quality and workmanship.
3.3.1. Plunger Post (Jack) and Casing: Plunger shall be designed for removal from casing without removing the casing or shall be repairable within the casing as installed.
18.104.22.168. Plunger post shall be highly polished (preferably micro-honed) on outer surface and shall have a minimum outside diameter of 10-1/2 inches with the strength and travel required by capacity and height requirements. Each plunger shall be equipped with an automatic mechanical locking device as required for safe operation (See Paragraph 3.3.5.).
22.214.171.124. Casing for 10-1/2 inch minimum post shall have a minimum outside diameter of 12-3/4 inches and be equipped with heavy duty bearing approximately 2-1/8 inches wide, spaced on approximate 21 inch centers. The packing glands shall be equipped with wiping rings to prevent the entrance of foreign matter and shall be designed to facilitate adjustment and replacement of packing material. (Lifts furnished with automatic devices for adjusting and replacing packing material are acceptable.)
3.3.2. Superstructure: The four (4) swivel arms shall be a minimum width of 6 inches and constructed of steel heavy enough to meet capacity load requirements. They shall be attached to a bolster which has a maximum width no greater than 24 inches. rotating or sliding pads or sleeves on each arm shall provide for longitudinal adjustment and form vertical adjustments of approximately 2 inches and at least 4-1/2 inches above the superstructure. The superstructure assembly shall be no higher than 4 inches when fully recessed.
3.3.3. Air-Oil Tanks: Fully hydraulic tanks shall be ASME type and have the oil and power capacity required for each respective lift furnished, utilizing air at 150 psig minimum and shall be equipped with the proper safety devices (See Paragraph 3.3.5.). Air-oil tanks shall be installed above ground unless otherwise specified in the Invitation for Bids.
3.3.4. Control Valves:
126.96.36.199. The primary (air control) valve shall be the single lever type which locks in both the open and closed positions. It shall be provided with an air exhaust muffler.
188.8.131.52. Secondary (oil control) valves shall be the three-way, single lever type with automatic "return-to-off" (deadman type) device which is capable of operating during either the raise or lowering cycle.
3.3.5. Safety Devices: Each lift shall be equipped with safety devices that meet or exceed the requirements for safety devices in ANSI B 153.1, including the following:
184.108.40.206. An oil control device shall be provided with each air-oil tank to prevent hoisting operation if the oil level is low.
220.127.116.11. A mechanical leg, with an automatic locking mechanism, shall be provided with each cylinder assembly to hold the lifting structure in the fully extended position at rated load. This mechanical leg shall be capable of holding the superstructure at the fully extended position without permanent distortion of the components.
3.4. Options: The following become a part of the bid when specified by the ordering agency in the Invitation for Bids:
3.4.1. Air cooler or refrigerator for air system in addition to water traps and drain plugs.
3.4.2. Air-oil tank installed below ground.
3.4.3. Excavation for lift (when installed by vendor or his agent). (See Paragraph 12.)
3.4.4. Fiberglass sleeves or coating for cylinder assemblies.
3.4.5. Other: (For example: Recessed trench, or cathodic galvanic shield systems).
4. WARRANTY: Lifts furnished under this specification shall be fully guaranteed against defective material and workmanship for a period of one (1) year from the date of installation. Any lift furnished which fails to meet or exceed all conditions and requirements of this specification shall be modified or replaced at the vendor's expense to conform with these specifications.
5. CURRENCY OF MODELS: Products delivered under this specification shall be produced in the current year, unless otherwise specified in the Invitation for Bids.
6. TESTING: Testing shall be done by or at the direction of the Commission and/or the ordering State agency. Test shall be performed on products after delivery and installation. In the event products tested fail to meet or exceed all conditions and requirements of this specification, the cost of the testing shall be borne by the supplier. The products furnished under the specification shall be tested by the following methods or approved equally applicable procedures:
6.1. Lifting Capacity: With air pressure maintained at a minimum 150 psig, determine the loading capacity by securely loading the superstructure of the lift with the minimum rated capacity (8,000 pounds). Distribute this load evenly (2,000 pounds at the end of each arm). Raise the load to its maximum height and measure the time from the opening of the oil control valve until the automatic non-rotation leg locks the lift at the extended position. Failure of the lift to raise the rated capacity load with 100 seconds constitutes failure of the lift (See Paragraph 3.2.).
Measure the plunger travel and the floor-to-vehicle contact point. Compare with the requirements of Paragraph 3.2.3.
Lower the lift and measure the time required for a point on the lift (or automobile) to travel a measured distance. For example, measure the time required for the lowest point on a tire to travel from the fully extended position to contact with the floor. Accurately calculate this speed by dividing the distance traveled by the time. Compare with the requirements of Paragraph 3.2.
Raise the load a second time and release the oil control lever at approximately the midpoint of lift travel to test the proper operation of the automatic cutoff switch. After a period of at least five (5) seconds, continue rasing the lift to its fully extended position. Lower the lift and again observe the operations of the automatic cutoff switch. After a period of at least five (5) seconds, lower the lift. Failure of the lift to hold the rated capacity load in both of the above positions for a least five (5) seconds constitutes failure of the lift.
Repeat the above procedures for the other superstructure. Determine compliance with the various requirements as above.
6.2. Safety Control: Drain the oil supply to a level less than three inches (3") or 10% of the capacity, whichever is smaller. Attempt to raise the hoist. Failure of the safety device to prevent the raising of the hoist constitutes failure of the lift.
7. PACKAGING: Lifts shall be packaged in accordance with the best recognized commercial practices in a manner readily acceptable by common carriers engaged in interstate commerce.
8. MARKING AND LABELING:
8.1. Marking: Each shipping container or shipping document shall be clearly marked with the following data:
8.1.1. Name of contents.
8.1.3. Order or contract number.
8.1.4. Name and address of ordering agency.
8.1.5. Agency requisition number.
8.1.6. Manufacturer's name and address.
8.2. Labeling: Each lift shall bear, in a conspicuous place, a securely affixed and durable label showing the following:
8.2.1. Manufacturer's name.
8.2.2. Model number.
8.2.3. Serial number.
8.2.4. Rated capacity.
8.2.5. Statement of compliance with ANSI B 153.1.
9. AVAILABILITY OF SERVICE AND REPAIR PARTS: An adequate supply of repair parts must be carried in stock within the State of Texas. Bidder shall include with each bid a list of companies or individuals, and their addresses, who stock repair parts and who can perform service on the product (s) furnished.
10. SUBMITTAL OF LITERATURE: Bidder shall submit with each bid, a complete and illustrated description of the product (s) being offered.
11. INSTRUCTION MANUALS: The supplier shall furnish two (2) copies of complete instructions for the installation, maintenance, and operation of each different model, size and type of equipment furnished, as well as one (1) complete replacement parts list showing the manufacturer and the manufacturer's part numbers for the various components of the equipment furnished. One (1) copy of the instructions shall accompany the equipment when shipped; and one (1) copy, together with the parts list, shall be mailed to the attention of the purchasing agent of the ordering agency.
12. INSTALLATION: Installation shall be one of the following as specified in the Invitation for Bids:
12.1. Installation by Ordering Agency.
12.2. Installation by Ordering Agency with factory approved supervision.
12.3. Installation by vendor or vendor's authorized installer. When installation is done by either the vendor or the vendor's authorized installer, the vendor shall guarantee all work performed.
13. COMPLIANCE: In order for consideration to be given to the bid on an item under this specification, the bidder must comply with the following:
13.1. PRODUCT IDENTIFICATION: The make, model number, name of the manufacturer, brand or trade name, etc., as applicable, of the item which the vendor proposes to furnish must be stated as part of the bid.
13.2. EXCEPTIONS: Notwithstanding the above, any exception taken by the bidder to the requirements and conditions of this specification must be stated and described in detail as a part of the bid. If no exceptions or deviations are identified in this manner, the items must be furnished exactly as described herein.
13.3. PROOF: The bidder shall bear the burden of proof of compliance with this specification.
14. ORDERING DATA: When ordering products conforming to this specification the requisitioning agency shall specify the following:
14.1. The number of this specification (075-44-03).
14.2. The quantity desired.
14.3. The style desired (See Paragraph 3.).
14.4. Specify "tank below ground" if desired (See Paragraph 3.3.2.).
14.5. They type of installation desired (See Paragraph 12.).
14.6. Other options if desired (See Paragraph 3.3.4.).
Note: If unusual requirements such as electrical connections or extra pipe are needed, an on-site inspection by the prospective bidder should be requested by the requisition agency prior to submittal of bids.
15. AVAILABILITY OF SPECIFICATIONS: Copies of this specification may be obtained by calling or writing:
Texas Procurement and Support Services
P. O. Box 13186
Austin, TX 78711-3047