Texas Specification No. 075-44-02A
Effective Date: October 31, 1980
Reformatted Date: June 28, 1996
LIFTS, HYDRAULIC, ADJUSTABLE, AUTOMOBILE AND TRUCK
(Two-Post, Rail-Free Type)
1. SCOPE: This specification includes the requirements for fully hydraulic two-post (without rails) vehicle lifts appropriate for raising passenger automobiles, buses and trucks by a longitudinally adjustable front post and a stationary rear post.
2. APPLICABLE SPECIFICATIONS AND STANDARDS: Reference to specifications, standards and test methods shall be to those in effect on the date of the Invitation for Bids. The following publication forms a part of this specification to the extent specified here:
2.1. AMERICAN NATIONAL STANDARDS INSTITUTE (ANSI), 1430 Broadway, New York, NY 10018.
2.1.1. ANSI B 153.1 -- Safety Requirements for the construction,, Care and Use of Automotive Lifts.
3. REQUIREMENTS: Lifts furnished to this specification shall meet or exceed the requirements of ANSI B 153.1 and the following:
3.1. Size: The lifts shall be one of the two following sizes as specified in the Invitation for Bids:
3.1.1. Size I: Size I shall have a minimum capacity rated load of 16,000 pounds to accommodate a minimum vehicle wheelbase range from 100 inches to 208 inches utilizing a longitudinally adjustable front post and a stationary rear post.
3.1.2. Size II: Size II shall be the same style as Size I except the minimum capacity rated load shall be 24,000 pounds and the minimum wheelbase range shall be 149 inches to 276 inches.
3.2. Lifting Capacity and Height: Capacity rated loads shall be raised to required heights in 100 seconds or less, and lowered at a rate not greater than 20 feet per minute.
3.2.1. Size I Lift: Size I lift with a capacity rated load of 16,000 pounds shall have front and rear posts capable of lifting capacity rated loads of 8,000 pounds minimum for each post.
3.2.2. Size II Lift: Size II lift with a capacity rated load of 24,000 pounds shall have front and rear posts capable of lifting capacity rate loads of 12,000 pounds minimum for each post.
3.2.3. Plunger travel for Sizes I and II shall be sufficient to provide a minimum height from the floor-to-vehicle contact point of 60 inches when measured in accordance with the test procedure in Paragraph 6.
3.3. Components: Each hydraulic lift furnished to this specification shall have, but not be limited to, the following components. All other parts, not specifically listed, that are required or ordinarily furnished as standard equipment to complete a lift which is ready for either installation or operations (See Paragraph 12) shall be provided by the successful bidder. All parts shall meet or exceed the accepted industry standards for strength, quality and workmanship.
3.3.1. Plunger posts (jacks) and Casings: Plungers shall be designed for removal from casings without removing the casing or shall be repairable within the casing as installed.
220.127.116.11. Plunger posts shall be polished, have a minimum outside diameter of 10-1/2 inches and have the strength and travel required by capacity and height requirements. Each plunger shall be equipped with an automatic mechanical locking device as required for safe operation (See Paragraph 3.3.10.). Size I front post may have an outside diameter at least 8-1/2 inches only when provided with a heavy duty superstructure.
18.104.22.168. Casings for 10-1/2 inch posts shall have a minimum outside diameter of 12-3/4 inches and be equipped with heavy duty bearings weld to casings. The packing glands shall be equipped with wiping rings to prevent the entrance of foreign matter and shall be designed to facilitate adjustment and replacement of packing material. (Lifts furnished with automatic devices for adjusting and replacing packing material are acceptable.) Casings for Size I, 8-1/2 inch diameter plunger posts shall be manufacturer's standard.
3.3.2. Air-Oil Tanks: Fully hydraulic tanks shall have the capacity required for each respective lift furnished, utilizing air at 150 psig and shall be equipped with the proper safety devices. (See Paragraph 3.3.6.) If an electric pump is necessary to meet the lifting capacity required, it shall be installed above the ground and provided with power to product 200 psig. Air-oil tanks shall be installed above ground unless otherwise specified in the Invitation for Bids.
3.3.3. Control Valves:
22.214.171.124. The primary (air control) valve shall be the single lever type with a muffler.
126.96.36.199. Secondary (oil Control) valves shall be the three-way, single lever type with automatic "return-to-off" (deadman switch) from either the raise or lower position. One oil control valve shall regulate the oil supply to both plungers simultaneously unless the ordering agency specifies separate oil control valves for each plunger.
3.3.4. Trench Covers:
188.8.131.52. Each rear post superstructure, when in the fully lowered position, shall be covered with a minimum 1/4 inch steel plate furnished with heavy duty hinges and non-skid surface. The perimeter of each trench box shall have a metal curb, made from 2 inch by 2 inch by 1/4 inch steel angle, installed flush with the floor surface. Trench cover mechanisms shall be designed to prevent damage to plungers during operation.
3.3.5. Axle Supports: Suitable axle supports shall be furnished for lifting passenger automobiles and trucks, including vehicles with independent wheel suspension. Truck axle supports shall be of sufficient height to raise the axles a minimum of 5-3/4 inches above the superstructure.
184.108.40.206. Front axle supports for Size I lifts shall have a laterally adjustable minimum range from 26 inches to 47 inches. those for Size II lifts shall have a minimum range from 40 inches to 52 inches.
220.127.116.11. Rear axle supports for Size I lifts shall have a laterally adjustable minimum range from 21 inches to 35 inches. Those for Size II lifts shall have a minimum range from 23 inches to 42 inches.
3.3.6. Wheel Chocks (Spotters): Recessed wheel spotters shall be installed flush with the floor surface to automatically center rear axle supports.
3.3.7. Lubrication: Grease fittings or other acceptable means shall be provided for proper lubrication of moving parts.
3.3.8. Positioning for Front Post: The lift shall be designed so that the operator is not required to get under any vehicle to complete this procedure.
3.3.9. Manually Adjustable Assemblies: Shall require a manual force no greater than 50 pounds to operate.
3.3.10. Safety Devices: Each lift shall be equipped with safety devices that meet or exceed the requirements for safety devices in ANSI B 153.1 (74) and the following:
18.104.22.168. A safety control shall be provided with each air-oil tank to prevent hoisting operation in the oil level is low.
22.214.171.124. A mechanical leg, with an automatic locking device, shall be provided with each cylinder assembly to hold the plunger in the fully extended position at rated load. This mechanical leg shall be capable of holding the superstructure at the fully extended position without permanent distortion of the components.
3.4. Options: The following become a part of the bid when specified by the ordering agency in the Invitation for Bids:
3.4.1. Fiberglass sleeves or spray for cylinder assemblies.
3.4.2. Separate oil control valve for each cylinder.
3.4.3. Air-oil tank installed above the ground.
3.4.4. Excavation for lift (when installed by vendor or his agent). See Paragraph 12.
3.4.5. Air cooler or refrigerator for air system in addition to water traps and drain plugs.
3.4.6. Other: (examples: magnesium anode or cathodic galvanic shield systems).
4. WARRANTY: Lifts furnished under this specification shall be fully guaranteed against defective material and workmanship for a period of one (1) year from the date of installation. Any lift furnished which fails to meet or exceed all conditions and requirements of this specification shall be modified or replaced at the vendor's expense to conform with these specifications.
5. CURRENCY OF MODELS: Products delivered under this specification shall be produced in the current year, unless otherwise specified in the Invitation for Bids.
6. TESTING: Testing shall be done by or at the direction of the Commission and/or the ordering State agency. Test shall be performed on products after delivery and installation. In the event products tested fail to meet or exceed all conditions and requirements of this specification, the cost of the testing shall be borne by the supplier. The products furnished under the specification shall be tested by the following methods or approved equally applicable procedures:
6.1. Lifting Capacity: Determine the concentric loading capacity by securely loading one superstructure of the lift with the minimum rated capacity (8,000 pounds for Size I and 12,000 pounds for Size II). Distribute this load evenly over the center of the post. Raise the load to its maximum height and measure the time from the opening of the oil control valve until the automatic non-rotation leg locks the lift at the extended position. Failure of the lift to raise the rated capacity load with 100 seconds constitutes failure of the lift (See Paragraph 3.2.).
Measure the plunger travel and the floor-to-vehicle contact point. Compare with the requirements of Paragraph 3.2.3.
Lower the lift and measure the time required for a point on the lift (or automobile) to travel a measured distance. For example, measure the time required for the lowest point on a tire to travel from the fully extended position to contact with the floor. Accurately calculate this speed by dividing the distance traveled by the time. Compare with the requirements of Paragraph 3.2.
Raise the load a second time and release the oil control lever at approximately the midpoint of lift travel to test the proper operation of the automatic cutoff switch. After a period of at least five (5) seconds, continue rasing the lift to its fully extended position. Lower the lift and again observe the operations of the automatic cutoff switch. After a period of at least five (5) seconds, lower the lift. Failure of the lift to hold the rated capacity load in both of the above positions for a least five (5) seconds constitutes failure of the lift.
Repeat the above procedures for the other superstructure. Determine compliance with the various requirements as above.
6.2. Safety Control: Drain the oil supply to a level less than three inches (3") or 10% of the capacity, whichever is smaller. Attempt to raise the hoist. Failure of the safety device to prevent the raising of the hoist constitutes failure of the lift.
6.3. Measure the force required to operate the various manually adjustable assemblies. Determine compliance with the requirements of Paragraph 3.3.).
7. PACKAGING: Lifts shall be packaged in accordance with the best recognized commercial practices in a manner readily acceptable by common carriers engaged in interstate commerce.
8. MARKING AND LABELING:
8.1. Marking: Each shipping container or shipping document shall be clearly marked with the following data:
8.1.1. Name of contents.
8.1.3. Order or contract number.
8.1.4. Name and address of ordering agency.
8.1.5. Agency requisition number.
8.1.6. Manufacturer's name and address.
8.2. Labeling: Each lift shall bear, in a conspicuous place, a securely affixed and durable label showing the following:
8.2.1. Manufacturer's name.
8.2.2. Model number.
8.2.3. Serial number.
8.2.4. Rated capacity.
8.2.5. Statement of compliance with ANSI B 153.1.
9. AVAILABILITY OF SERVICE AND REPAIR PARTS: An adequate supply of repair parts must be carried in stock within the State of Texas. Bidder shall include with each bid a list of companies or individuals, and their addresses, who stock repair parts and who can perform service on the product (s) furnished.
10. SUBMITTAL OF LITERATURE: Bidder shall submit with each bid, a complete and illustrated description of the product (s) being offered.
11. INSTRUCTION MANUALS: The supplier shall furnish two (2) copies of complete instructions for the installation, maintenance, and operation of each different model, size and type of equipment furnished, as well as one (1) complete replacement parts list showing the manufacturer and the manufacturer's part numbers for the various components of the equipment furnished. One (1) copy of the instructions shall accompany the equipment when shipped; and one (1) copy, together with the parts list, shall be mailed to the attention of the purchasing agent of the ordering agency.
12. INSTALLATION: Installation shall be one of the following as specified in the Invitation for Bids:
12.1. Installation by Ordering Agency.
12.2. Installation by Ordering Agency with factory approved supervision.
12.3. Installation by vendor or vendor's authorized installer. When installation is done by either the vendor or the vendor's authorized installer, the vendor shall guarantee all work performed.
13. COMPLIANCE: In order for consideration to be given to the bid on an item under this specification, the bidder must comply with the following:
13.1. PRODUCT IDENTIFICATION: The make, model number, name of the manufacturer, brand or trade name, etc., as applicable, of the item which the vendor proposes to furnish must be stated as part of the bid.
13.2. EXCEPTIONS: Notwithstanding the above, any exception taken by the bidder to the requirements and conditions of this specification must be stated and described in detail as a part of the bid. If no exceptions or deviations are identified in this manner, the items must be furnished exactly as described herein.
13.3. PROOF: The bidder shall bear the burden of proof of compliance with this specification.
14. ORDERING DATA: When ordering products conforming to this specification the requisitioning agency shall specify the following:
14.1. The number of this specification (075-44-02A).
14.2. The quantity desired.
14.3. The style desired (See Paragraph 3.).
14.4. Specify "tank above ground" if desired (See Paragraph 3.3.2.).
14.5. They type of installation desired (See Paragraph 12.).
14.6. Other options if desired (See Paragraph 3.3.4.).
15. AVAILABILITY OF SPECIFICATIONS: Copies of this specification may be obtained by calling or writing:
Texas Procurement and Support Services
P. O. Box 13186
Austin, TX 78711-3047