Requirements for Contract Managers
Pursuant to Gov't Code §2262.053, the Texas Procurement and Support Services (TPASS) administers a system of training, continuing education and certification for state agency contract management personnel.
Each state agency shall ensure that the agency's contract managers complete the training and certification developed under this section. Per S.B. No. 1681, all members of the governing body of a state agency shall complete an abbreviated contract management course.
The Comptroller’s office provides training for members of governing bodies in accordance with Texas Government Code §2262.0535. Each state agency must independently determine who qualifies as a member of a governing body for the agency. Any such determination requires studying the enabling statutes and any other applicable law regarding the particular agency at issue. If you have questions about who in your agency is required to complete this training for governing bodies, please consult your agency’s legal counsel.
Webinar Training for Governing Bodies will be available the third (3rd) Thursday of each month starting in September, 2014. This does not apply to a state agency that does not enter into any contracts.
In addition to state agencies; political subdivisions and/or CO-OP's are welcomed to participate in the training and certification program. Examples of CO-OP entities include school districts, police, fire departments, community colleges and some city and county governments. Visit website for a full list of the State of Texas CO-OP list: http://www.window.state.tx.us/procurement/prog/coop/coopmemb/
Who Should Complete the Training?
Visit website www.hr.sao.state.tx.us/Compensation/JobDescriptions.aspx for SAO classifications as a reference to help identify individuals who are required to receive the TPASS contract management training. Use "Contract Manager" in the "Filter Descriptions" box then click the "Filter" button.
In addition, the following tasks may help identify individuals who are required to take TPASS's contract management training.
- Develops and/or interprets rules, policies, or procedures regarding contract management or contract administration.
- Recommends the development of new contracts based on end-user requirements.
- Develops contracts by identifying needs, analyzing resources, describing services to be rendered, and negotiating pricing and other contract features/terms.
- Coordinates and facilitates the activities of a Contract Management team.
- Manages contracts using project management tools (i.e. work breakdown structures, GANTT charts, Performance Evaluation and Review Technique (PERT) charts, Critical Path Method (CPM), Microsoft (MS) Project, etc.)
- Prepares and presents reports regarding agency contracts by compiling, reviewing, and analyzing data and reporting to agency management and the Legislature.
- Coordinates the risk assessment process for contract planning and monitoring.
- Mitigates risks by addressing potential threats during contract development.
- Leads negotiations for major contracts.
- Inspects and/or audits contractors to ensure compliance with contract terms and conditions.
- Monitors contractor performance.
- Mediates and/or resolves contract related protests or disputes.
- Reviews and approves (in conjunction with the end user), all change orders.
- Cancels or terminates contracts.
- Provides guidance to agency staff and the community regarding contract administration policies, and procedures.
- Identifies training needs and provides training and technical assistance to clients, boards, or public entities during the contracting process in order to comply with statutes, rules, and policies.
- Continually refines best practices guidelines for contract management.
Training and Certification Requirements
The program contains three (3) levels of training and one (1) level of formal certification.
- *Complete the 3 levels of training
- Apply for testing
- Score a 70+
- Apply for certification
*Visit website for current course titles and descriptions: http://www.window.state.tx.us/procurement/prog/training-cert/cmt/training/classdesc/
Individuals who have earned a nationally recognized professional certification in a specific subject matter may be exempted from taking some of TPASS's Contract Manager Training (CMT) courses. Visit website for equivalent training: http://www.window.state.tx.us/procurement/prog/training-cert/cmt/training/equivalent_training/ for those entities recognized by TPASS as National Organizations.