Direct Deposit FAQs
What is my Texas Identification Number (TIN)/Payee Number?
Your Texas Identification Number (TIN)/ Payee Number is an 11-digit number based on your Tax Identification Number, Employer Identification Number (EIN) or Social Security number (SSN). The number can be found on your check stub or Advance Payment Notification (APN).
How long does it take for direct deposit to take effect?
It's fast: only six banking days between the time the direct deposit instructions are set up and when the direct deposit takes effect. During this time, the financial institution runs a prenote test that sends a $0.00 test payment to your bank account to ensure the bank account information is correct.
How do I obtain payment information?
Payees may obtain payment information through the Search State Payments Issued application or by following up with the agency on the Paying Agency Contact List that submitted the payment.
What is Advanced Payment Notification?
Advance Payment Notification (APN) allows you to opt-in for an email from the state in advance of a direct deposit payment and/or when a warrant has been issued. Then you can log in to the Search State Payments Issued application for payment details.
Why does the state refer to its checks as warrants?
A state issued check is called a warrant because the funds are guaranteed.
Does direct deposit save the state of Texas money?
Yes. It reduces handling and distribution costs.
View the Discount Cost Effectiveness Calculator
How does direct deposit benefit me?
- Fast - Receive your payment within two business days after the payment is issued.
- Increase cash flow.
- Safe – Secure and automated. Never again worry about a lost check. Direct deposits are automatic, fully traceable and help protect against identity theft.
- Advance Payment Notification notifies you one business day before funds are posted to your bank account.
- Easy – Set it up once, and payments automatically post directly to your bank account.
- No waiting in line at the bank.
- Green – Paper checks add 3.6 million tons of CO2 into the environment each year.